Mandolinetto The term "mandolinetto" is commonly used today to refer to guitar-shaped mandolins. Most of the manufacturers simply called them mandolins - which while technically correct, ignores their uniqueness and significantly different appearance from both traditional bowl-back mandolins and the various later scroll and pear-shaped instruments. Sears and Bruno (see below) both called them mandolinettos and probably sold more under their nomenclature than the rest of the makers combined.